Help, my basement flooded and I need to get the smell out!! Potty water!?

August 27, 2013 by
Filed under: Runner Rugs 


Question by firewater_tears: Help, my basement flooded and I need to get the smell out!! Potty water!?
The toilet upstairs overflowed and leaked through the floor, flooding the basement. Thankfully we only have a small runner rug, and the floor is concrete, but the smell won’t leave. I live down here and have to do something about it.
1. The runner rug was only 5 dollars, I can get rid of it.
2. There are only two windows down here that open. And I’m allergic to bleach. (Maybe I’m a bacteria?) So it would have to be a very weak solution.
3. Some things we can’t bleach under, like the water heater.
4. We don’t have a lot of money.

Best answer:

Answer by us citizen
bleach water wash. then dehumidfiyer for three days.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!




Comments

7 Comments on Help, my basement flooded and I need to get the smell out!! Potty water!?

  1. T C on Tue, 27th Aug 2013 8:09 am

    Oder Out, at Lowes, buy it by the gallon. Mop the floor to a point of standing water. Use a dry vac after about an hour, followed by baking soda (big boxes), then sweep and vac again. For a couple days after use potpourri heavy

  2. lorinhl on Tue, 27th Aug 2013 8:36 am

    All good suggestions, also try activated charcoal. It comes in bags at the hardware store and absorbs smells and dampness.

    Good luck!

  3. domedweller2 on Tue, 27th Aug 2013 9:14 am

    Scrub the floor with diluted bleach,let it dry and do it again a few time until the smell is gone.
    Between applications you could sprinkle some coffee granules to mask the odor.

  4. wood42ras on Tue, 27th Aug 2013 9:55 am

    Due to the poures nature of concrete and cement blocks if the water was there for a long time it has seeped through the blocks. Now If the walls are wet that means one thing, if the walls are damp that mean another….The condition of the wall and floor is a major consideration in what you need to do…If you like I can walk you through the process….I had my own business and if was doing Insurance Restoration…Done my share of floor damage repair and other things….anyways like I siad more info needed to really tell you what you need to do…. wood42ras@yahoo.com

  5. linda t on Tue, 27th Aug 2013 10:35 am

    I just read something about flooding basements in the website, Hints from Heloise. There is a section about emergencies in the site.

  6. happy heathen on Tue, 27th Aug 2013 11:04 am

    Been there. You poor thing!

    The stink is caused by bacteria, and the only thing that kills the bacteria is bleach – and lots of it. However, don’t use it full strength, unless you are absolutely sure that everything it touches won’t be ruined (straight bleach can be extremely corrosive). Make sure you have good ventilation while cleaning, or you may be overcome by the fumes (not that the stink isn’t already killing you!). Seriously, though, you HAVE to have some windows open and at least one fan going. ALSO – very important!!! – DO NOT mix the bleach with ANYTHING other than water. Other cleaning agents, like ammonia, when mixed with bleach, cause a very toxic chemical reaction.

    Get two buckets. Fill them both with really hot water. Put a good amount of bleach in one of them. Invest in a good-quality pair of rubber gloves. Think toxic waste site!!! Using either rags, sponges, paper towels, or a mop, dip into the bleach-water and wipe everything down. Rinse with the clean water. Change out the water in the buckets OFTEN. Repeat as necessary. Go outside for fresh air OFTEN.

    You will have to deal with the stink of bleach for a day or so, but, having had your dilema before, I can assure you, it is nothing as bad as what you are dealing with right now.

    Don’t waste money on products that will only mask the smell, like scented candles or room sprays. The source of the stink has to be eradicated, or it will never go away. If you haven’t already done so, throw that runner rug away – it is a loss, and, unless it is valuable or a family heirloom, it’s just not worth trying to save.

    GOOD LUCK!!!!

  7. Darin C on Tue, 27th Aug 2013 11:51 am

    go to Sams and get a product called Odo-Ban. I’ve used it many times in my business doing restoration from flooding and fire. you might also try an Ozone Machine, you can rent them.

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.